This can be disappointing. However, we’re happy to tell you that even if you notice a funny taste there’s nothing wrong with your vaporizer and that the problem can easily be solved by doing a simple burn-off.
In this article, you can read all about why you should do this and how it’s done. You got this!
What is a burn-off (and why should I do it)?
With a burn-off you let your device run two cycles, heated on maximum without drawing from it. This way, you burn chemical residue or dust without inhaling it. A burn-off is just good practice as it serves both your vaporizer and your own health.
Just like any other electronic device, your new vaporizer was manufactured in a factory and has been in contact with different types of machinery. This can cause tiny amounts of oil or dust particles to get into contact with your device – and thus with the heating chamber. Every finished machine-made product is cleaned with a chemical solution, of which some residue can remain. This can leave a strange taste in your vaporizer.
Especially oven-based vaporizers can have a bit of an ‘off’ taste and could do with a burn-off.
How to do a burn-off (in 5 easy steps)
We recommend using ginger to do a burn-off, although using dried peppermint or sage would work as well. Using chamomile or lavender will leave a new taste that remains in the chamber for a while and is not recommended.
1. Charge your vaporizer fully.
2. Turn on your vaporizer to maximum temperature and allow it to run one cycle. If you have a device without an auto shutoff function, just let it run for five minutes.
3. Add ginger, peppermint or sage to the chamber.
4. Burn-off for another cycle.
5. Empty the ginger from the device and clean the chamber.
6. Run one more cycle at the highest temperature.
Voila! Burn-off complete. You vaporizer is now clean and ready to be fully enjoyed.